Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Further Musings (: - on the origins of christmas

So today, I was at home by myself when Spice (the naughty cat) comes in. I was watching Friends so I was rather absorbed but I eventually got up to tell her off for shredding the curtains. BUT, I then saw what she had in her mouth - a tiny dead wren. I felt terrible: if I had got up when she first came in, the bird might not have been dead at that point and might have survived. I had to wrestle its tiny corpse off her and dispose of it, all the while trying not to cry (and failing miserably). This is only a day after I cried my eyes out watching a YouTube video (available here, I don't want to embed it cause I'll only start crying again). Argh, teenage hormones making me all emotional!
On the plus side, the The Sixteen concert I went to was awesome :) and even better, I only have three more exams until I'm off for Xmas!
I love Christmas. I love the tree and the lights, the family and the food, the TV and the laziness, church and presents. This might surprise you if you've read my profile as it clearly states that I'm pagan, which I am. Christmas is the only time I go to church (except for a wedding or funeral of course). I believe all gods are one God so I do still believe in Jesus and the God of the church. I celebrate Yule and Saturnalia alongside Christmas - Saturnalia because my main pantheon is the Roman/Greek one and Yule (the winter solstice) because I love to feel in touch with the cycles of the earth. It's also interesting to find out where all our traditions come from - the yule log, mistletoe and the Christmas tree were all pagan symbols first and Christmas is even in December to coincide with earlier pagan festivals so that the invaded population would take Rome's new religion easier! It's funny how things change. From a pagan festival, to a christian holiday, to being outlawed under Cromwell and now today's mainly secular holiday - Christmas sure has come a long way.
...
Whilst writing this, I got up to close the blind but I slipped and fell over the end of my bed - banging my head on the wall, bruising my ribs on the foot of the bed and ramming the bedknob into my neck/shoulder. I am now in bed nursing a bag of frozen peas. Today is not my day.

I hope that you're all fine and dandy, unlike me! Until next time, folks.
- Joanna Eve

No comments:

Post a Comment